Department: Sustainability / Commercial Workplace Interior Design
Reports To: Head of Sustainability
The Sustainability Manager is responsible for leading the development and implementation of the company’s sustainability strategy. This includes managing and overseeing all aspects of environmental management and sustainability, including:
- Conducting environmental assessments
- Developing and implementing sustainability plans
- Advising on the latest low or zero-carbon technologies
- Managing the company’s carbon footprint
- Communicating the company’s sustainability strategy and achievements to staff and stakeholders
- Act as the Sustainability Manager/Ska Assessor/ BREEAM AP on all projects, working closely with clients, the design team, and contractors to deliver their key sustainability objectives.
- Ensure each project team understands their client’s sustainability requirements, including the delivery of environmental assessments such as BREEAM, Ska, and Best Practice, and that the relevant EMS requirements are implemented on projects from tender stage through to completion.
- Offer the project team practical advice to reduce carbon emissions and waste, and ensure that goods and services are ethically procured.
- Assist in the implementation of sustainability strategies, which may involve Sustainability Benchmarks, sustainability statements, and cost-effective BREEAM/Ska compliance solutions.
- Implement and manage measurement of the Company’s Scope 1, 2, and 3 footprint to achieve a baseline in line with GHG Protocol.
- Create a repeatable system to measure the Company’s Scope 1-3 footprint on an annual basis which can demonstrate change in footprint over time.
- Keep project documentation up-to-date and comply with file management protocols.
- Assess supply chain EMS capabilities via prequalification assessments.
- Communicate the company’s sustainability strategy, aims, and achievements coherently, getting buy-in from the wider staff base.
- Deliver training and guidance on environmental management and sustainability for project staff and the supply chain.
- Identify and communicate best practice across the business.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Qualifications in environmental assessment methods (BREEAM AP, Ska, etc.).
- Experience with greenhouse gas accounting including establishing a base year.
- Experience in a construction environmental/sustainability role.
- Experience of managing delivery of the company and client sustainability requirements from preconstruction to practical completion.
- Commitment to continuous professional development by staying updated with technical journals and attending relevant seminars to enhance technical knowledge.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, particularly in report writing, ensuring clear communication both internally and externally.
- Ability to take ownership of client-facing consultancy services, collecting technical and operational information relevant to projects.
Location: Office and site based, Monday – Friday. Some travel required around the UK and possible overnight stays, depending on project locations.
- Private Healthcare
- AE Pension
- Paid Training/Professional Development opportunities
- Holiday: 20 days, plus bank holidays, Birthday and days between Christmas Day and New Years.
- The Sustainability Manager is a key member of the company’s sustainability team, and will work closely with other members of the team, as well as with staff across all departments, to achieve the company’s sustainability goals.
- The role is ideal for someone with a passion for sustainability and a desire to make a real difference.
- The company offers a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as opportunities for professional development.